It is an exciting time that we wait for when our babies grow and can start food other than milk. It is said ‘we are what we eat’. It becomes important to provide the nutritious food to babies when they are developing.
When is baby ready to start eating solids/ SIGNS
- Good head control
- Can sit without support for at least 1 minute
- Shows interest in food by opening his/her mouth however this is not exactly the right way to find
How should I start?
Start with feeding solids once a day, then 2-3 times,can introduce small snacks in between
What and how should I start with for my 6 month old baby?
Give one new food for 2-3 days then switch to other food and follow the same. After introducing every new food watch for any allergic reactions:
Signs of allergy:
- Skin rash
- Trouble breathing
You can start with :
- Veggies purees or fruits purees or single grain cereal
- It is recommended to give iron fortified cereals mixed with either breast milk or formula.
- Start offering water in a small cup.
SAMPLE MENU to start for 6 month old
Things to note: –offer water after meal
The food qty will increase slowly if you find:
- There is no drop in breast milk or formula (26-32 oz)
- Baby is still hungry and wants to eat more.Don’t force your baby to eat or get worried if baby is not eating.BREAST MILK/FORMULA is still the primary source of nutrition .
Thumb rule for making baby food
- Boil or overcook your fruit or veggies
- Mash it -You can use blender or masher
- Mix it with water/FM/BM for consistency
I add a drop of ghee in lentils
TIPS for feeding your baby:
You can try a booster chair or high chair for feeding. (Make sure you follow the safety guidelines). You can start on chair after 8 months if you don’t want lot of mess at 6 months.
- Give purees in a bowl and small spoon. Touch the preloaded spoon to baby lips.Let baby take the amount they like.
- If you see a drop in milk consumption -It is recommended to offer food after 1-1.30 hrs of breast milk or formula. This will prevent overfeeding as well as milk will remain the primary source.
Precautions to take
Foods to avoid:
- Honey till one year
- Juice drinks (contains lots of sugar),soda- decays baby teeth
- No salt and sugar till one year (gives extra work to kidney)
- No other milk than breast milk or formula (Cow’s milk /Soy milk)
- Choking hazards food- Nuts and seeds,whole grapes etc (The size of food matter )
Make sure baby eats in adult’s supervision.